10/20/2004

- by Erma Bombeck
(Written after she found out she was dying from
cancer.)


I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead
of pretending the earth would go into a holding
pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like
a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if
the carpet was stained or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living
room and worried much less about the dirt when
someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my
grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be
rolled up on a summer day because my hair had
just been teased and sprayed.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and
not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while
watching television and more while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it
was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was
guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of
pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and
realized that the wonderment growing inside me
was the only chance in life to assist God in a
miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would
never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up
for dinner."

There would have been more "I love you's."
More "I'm sorry's."

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize
every minute, look at it and really see it , live it and
never give it back.

No comments:

My Running Meter